Records you need to keep

Corporate-Recordkeeping-Practices-Simplified4During the financial year you’ll receive documents that are important for doing your tax, such as payment summaries, receipts, invoices and contracts.

Generally, you need to keep these for 5 years from when you lodge your tax return in case we ask you to substantiate your claims.

Records you need to keep include:

  • Payment summaries from payers, including your employer and the Department of Human Services
  • Statements from your bank and other financial institution showing the interest you’ve earned
  • Dividend statements from companies
  • Summaries from managed investment funds
  • Receipts or invoices for equipment or asset purchases and sales
  • Receipts or invoices for expense claims and repairs
  • Contracts
  • Tenant and rental records.

If your total claim for work-related expenses is $300 or more, you must have written evidence to prove your claims.

If you acquire a capital asset – such as an investment property, shares or managed fund investment – start keeping records immediately because you may have to pay capital gains tax if you sell the asset in the future. Keeping receipts from the start will ensure you don’t pay more tax than necessary.

Your documentation must be in English, unless you incurred the expense outside Australia.

Warren Kruger

Specialist Tax Consultant - “Helping YOU Pay The Correct Tax And Not A Penny More”. My story starts on Christmas Eve, back in 1983 in South Africa.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Need Help With

Your Tax Return?

Complete the form below for a fast response

Scroll to Top
Call Now Button